Tuesday, October 2, 2012

How to write a book about "How to Watch TV News"...

I have been working with several students that are reading "How to Watch TV News". I noticed immediately that this book seems to be a difficult read for most. I decided to start reading it myself to see what everyone was talking about. I have only read the first couple of chapters, but have noticed that it does seem to be a bit awkward. Most students have said that they are having a hard time deciding what information is important. They are having issues deciding what information should be utilized in their writing. I noticed that someone said it comes off more like a "rough draft", instead of a final copy. I agree. It also comes off as fairly bias. It seems like an awkward choice for English 51 text.

The book that I would really like to start reading is "Drive". It seems to have a lot of interesting ideas. Catherine and Rosemary are both reading it right now. Rosemary was reading it last week and talked about it briefly. It seems like an interesting book! I need to find more time to read some of the books available here at the writing center. If I continue to have free time in the early morning, I plan to catch up on "How to Watch TV News" and hopefully start reading "Drive".




5 comments:

  1. It only there was a like button on here. "Hot to Watch T.V. News" is a very slow book to read with much of the book being what I call page fillers. I was only about to read a couple of the chapters in that book and it was like pulling teeth. I found my self read reading some of the information, and just wondering what is the importance of that info to the book. I have only worked with two students so far that are reading the News book, but they have also stated that it was hard for them for find information that was useful (and on topic) to what they had to write about. The book isn't all that bad but I do feel that the author was rushed in his writing or even like you stated just turned in a rough draft.

    I think the biggest issue I had with the book was being able to connect to the book. I listen tot the news but don't really watch it, most of the time I prefer to read the news so that I can pick what I want to be informed on. Which I guess completely throws out all of what the author wants me to compare with. However, with "Drive" I'm like yea when I did this I had "flow" just like the book described it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finding it hard to read the "How to Watch T.V. News" book as well. I have only made it through the first three chapters, and even that had to be forced. Just about all of my students are working on these essays and they too are having a hard time connecting to this issue. Most don't watch, read or even listen to the news. Which is sad in its own right, but I think what makes this book such a difficult read is the statistics, which the authors have thrown at you with no rhyme or reason. There are so many stats that you can't keep up with them, let alone keep them straight. What is even worse is the fact that you don't even get into how to actually watch the tv news until chapter 8 or 9. So I wonder if the whole purpose of this book is to confuse the reader and keep their minds on the evils that the author seems to be more concerned about than actually knowing how to watch the tv news. A very bias book, leans way to the left and vilifies the right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D

      Slow, yes! Too many (repetitive) stats thrown in without clear interpretation, I agree.

      It's an ok book, even though it does have a clear bias. Think of it (if you decide to keep reading) as an exercise in finding evidence for the bias. Evidence is everything--anyone can say, "I have a feeling the author is biased, tho I can't point to the place..."

      Delete
  3. "How to Watch TV News" is a forced read for me. I'm reading it to help the students who are writing about it. Some of the facts are interesting. The statistics seem to me to be unreliable because there is a biased feel to the whole book. To me reading this book is like sitting in the doctor's office pulling out whatever reading material they have and reading it for something to do. For me it's not difficult to read and understand. The trouble I have with it is that it just seems like I'm reading a long rant given from the author's soap box. I have gotten through the first 3 chapters. I will keep reading. I'm just glad I never had to use this book. It's not that I couldn't write on it, it's that it would be that I'd have no fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is your evidence for the "biased feel"? :-)

    ReplyDelete